Senior Data Scientist, Payment Optimization
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2023
Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world’s most powerful payments and banking infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015 in Melbourne, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North America.
About the role
Airwallex is building an industry-leading online payments infrastructure that helps merchants to collect credit card payments and other forms of payment from consumers around the world. This role will play a crucial role within the online payments product team to help our merchants to increase the success rate of card payments. Connecting the deep domain expertise of the team with data science, we are dynamically adjusting the card scheme messages and various verifications applied to the transaction to increase the chances of the issuing bank authorizing the payment.
- Work with online payments stakeholders across product, engineering and solutions engineering to drive payment success rate optimization strategies
- Mine and analyze card transaction data to identify optimization opportunities and build optimization hypotheses
- Design and execute experiments to validate and assess optimization hypotheses
- Develop multi-armed-bandit frameworks to dynamically adjust optimization strategies on a transactional level
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze payment success rate and data accuracy
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Math & Statistics, Finance & Economics, Engineering or related data disciplines
- 3-10 years of experience as data scientist or machine learning engineer with experience in either: Recommendation engines or Reinforcement learning models
- Strong problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- A drive to learn about new domains and master techniques
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques, including multi-armed bandit problem solving
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, simulation, causal inference, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English for coordinating across teams
- Experience with payment acquiring and optimization of card payment authorization rates preferred
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. We want you to share in our success, which is why you’ll be offered a competitive salary plus valuable equity within Airwallex. We also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organise regular team building events and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.
See more open positions at Airwallex
Something looks off?