Senior Business Development Manager, Venture Capital
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to create more owners.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S. and a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Senior Business Development Manager - Venture Capital Ecosystem Partnerships will represent Carta in-market and support the company’s efforts to grow its network, deepen existing relationships, and develop additional business opportunities across the investment management network to facilitate growth for Carta’s Venture Capital business. The Business Development (Partnerships) team works cross-functionally to drive ecosystem partnerships to accelerate our growing business. Ideal candidates will be energized by building and managing external relationships, finding solutions, cross-functional collaboration, digging into data, building a strategy, finding scalable best practices, constructing strategic communications, and helping to change practice across a dynamic industry.
The Problems You’ll Solve
- Create champions for Carta’s Venture Capital products (VC fund administration, fund and SPV formation, valuations, and portfolio insights) within the investment management ecosystem by partnering with, developing scalable strategies for, and engaging with industry actors such as law firms, banks, audit firms, tax firms, placement agents, LPs, asset managers, industry associations, educational cohorts, universities, government agencies, and more.
- Manage—and deepen—Carta’s existing customer and partner investment management relationships
- Identify and develop new long-term relationships to grow Carta’s network and business
- Nurture existing - and find new - opportunities to drive business across Carta’s product lines
- Leverage Salesforce and internal data to map contacts and opportunities by firm and geography, and maintain Carta’s contact database
- Work cross-functionally across the business with Sales, Marketing, Product, Implementations, Delivery, and Support; convey feedback from the field to internal stakeholders
- Post-COVID: Operate in the field as a representative of Carta, meeting with current and prospective partners and attending industry events on Carta’s behalf (up to 25% travel)
The Impact You’ll Have
You will expand Carta’s distribution and market share for Venture Capital products by helping us leverage our existing network and deepen working relationships with key investment firms - and developing relationships with new ones. You will represent Carta as a valuable contributor to the growing venture ecosystem across Carta’s network. You will bring back in-market feedback to improve Carta’s offerings.
You enjoy building lasting, productive relationships. You are curious, and you’re driven to key in on relationships and strategies that benefit all sides. You dig in to find ways to work with others. You are data-informed. You use data to inform well-thought out strategies. You are empathetic with respect to the needs of our ecosystem partners. You have a strong moral compass. You are motivated by making a material impact on our business. You are energized by sharing your learnings with others. You roll up your sleeves to partner with colleagues from across the company to explore what’s possible and drive results. You strive to identify the most impactful problems, and drive the business towards solutions.
- Significant knowledge of the tech & venture ecosystem
- Relevant network of contacts within the community, specifically encompassing venture funds, and accelerators
- Strong communication, presentation, and networking skills, with experience leading meetings with key leaders and decision makers
- Demonstrated history of working cross-functionally to drive solutions
- Deep understanding of SaaS business models
- 4-7 years of relevant Business Development / Partnerships or industry experience
- Prior experience managing relationships with high-profile ecosystem partners including investment fund sponsors, partners, or investment management communities
- Understanding of venture capital, private equity, fund administration, and/or investment management.
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our minimum cash compensation (salary + commission if applicable) range for this role is:
- $200,000 - $250,000 in [NY]
- $200,000 - $250,000 in [SF]
Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, and other factors.