Staff User Researcher, Developer
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Developer Product Group at Coinbase is key to Coinbase’s mission to increase economic freedom for the world. Our team creates experiences for Developers that help them build on the blockchain. You will help fuel innovation for crypto by helping Developers make the transition to building Web3 products, and enabling the existing Web3 Developer community with the tools they need to build the future of crypto.
We are looking for a self-motivated Researcher who thrives working in a fast-paced startup environment, with full autonomy and ownership. You are comfortable dealing with ambiguity, able to think through complex challenges, and are able to align cross-functional teams around your research in order to launch successful products. Knowledge and past experience working on research for Developers and Web3/Crypto products are value-adds for this role.
What you’ll be doing
- Leading the UX Research function for our Developer Product Group, working in close partnership with the Design and Product teams
- Act as primary point of contact for all team research needs—from large foundational and generative projects to evaluative, tactical, and investigative quick wins
- Coordinate and conduct mixed-methods research, including interviews, usability testing, concept testing, surveys, fieldwork, and other methods as needed
- Provide thoughtful guidance and education to stakeholders to turn vague business needs into actionable research questions
- Partner with other researchers on larger strategic research initiatives and internal team processes.
- Craft research reports to clearly communicate your findings and make impactful design and product recommendations for the team.
What we look for in you
- 7+ years of user research experience, preferably with some experience in a lead role or primary point of contact for a large product area with many stakeholders
- Working knowledge of general research principles (experimental design, bias, confounds, etc.) and UX research principles (usability testing, design thinking, etc.).
- Provides both confident team leadership and patient guidance to a range of stakeholder levels, including guiding designers and PMs through their own research
- Easily communicates complex concepts, with ability to influence strategy and decision making
- Can successfully manage project prioritization and multiple stakeholder relationships independently
- Experience with usertesting.com & unmoderated testing
- Collaborative attitude, team mentality, and humility
- A learner’s mindset, seeing feedback as a chance to grow
- Interest in crypto or financial products
Nice to haves
- Research experience working with a Developer audience, or other technical audiences
- User of Coinbase products
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?