Senior Manager, Accounting Policy
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Reporting to the Director of Technical Accounting and Reporting, this role will play a crucial and visible function in the Company’s risk management and reporting process, driving consistent application of accounting policy across the organization. The candidate will possess a solid knowledge of US GAAP and critically apply accounting principles to existing and new business activities. The candidate will also possess strong management and team leadership competencies gained through prior experience managing a corporate accounting department within a large, complex global organization.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Maintaining the Company’s accounting policies which includes adoption of new accounting standards and updating the Company’s accounting policies as disclosed in its financial statements.
- Partnering with other members of the accounting team to implement new accounting standards, changes in accounting policies or to operationalize the accounting for new or modified products.
- Partnering with Product, Legal, FP&A, and other teams to provide expertise in support of new transactions and new or evolving products. Provide input and explanation throughout the process to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Preparing technical accounting analysis related to new transactions and new or evolving products. Work closely with our external auditors on technical accounting matters and bring any accounting analysis to closure in a timely manner.
- Drafting original footnote disclosures, MD&A, and other public and private communications.
- Respond to technical accounting inquiries from external and internal parties and communicate technical accounting matters and concepts to all levels within the organization.
- Ensuring the internal controls related to accounting policies are designed, implemented and operating effectively for SOX compliance.
- Support management in completing special projects as assigned and be a Technical accounting resource for ad-hoc questions and initiatives.
- Assist in coordinating the approval of quarterly and annual financial reports with all relevant parties, including the audit committee, external auditors, and internal and external legal counsel.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Strong technical knowledge with respect to Revenue (606), Stock-based compensation (718), and Business Combinations (805).
- An ability to work cross-functionally to obtain all relevant facts, understand the business requirements, articulate the accounting requirements and communicate the conclusions reached.
- An ability to collaborate cross-functionally to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills, timeline management skills and attention to detail.
- A desire to work in a fast growing, exciting and agile business.
- NetSuite or other ERP experience a plus.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $195,500 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?