One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words. -Johann Wolfgang van Goethe (1796)
Goethe was a polymath; a poet, a scientist, a statesman.
In Theory of Colours, he dared to question Isaac Newton’s scientific discoveries regarding the perception of refracted light. In Metamorphosis of Plants, Goethe described the leaf as “the true Proteus who can hide or reveal himself in all vegetal Forms.”
What does this have to do with lawyering? Everything. Goethe was also a lawyer.
To be an effective in-house lawyer at a fast-growing and multi-faceted company like Mercury, you must strive to live, work, and play like a polymath.
At Mercury, we are building a banking* experience that over 100,000 startups trust. It requires creating a beautiful and seamless product experience for our customers, themselves companies that are creating products to change the world. And it also requires moving efficiently through complex regulatory frameworks, navigating large-scale partnerships, and taking smart risks. You’ll work with a talented, diverse, curious group of engineers, designers, marketers, operators - themselves polymaths - to help build Mercury toward its ideal form. Mercury’s culture cherishes beauty, quality, and creativity. Those words are typically not associated with lawyering, but as part of Mercury’s Legal team, you must add to that culture.
More specifically, for this role, we are looking for a lawyer with a background in corporate law who excels and is excited by being both a corporate specialist and an in-house generalist. You will have primary responsibility for our team’s corporate work, and you will also have responsibility for a range of non-corporate projects.
*Mercury is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust, Members FDIC.
Here are some things you’ll do on the job:
- Help build the foundation of a world-class legal team, including our in-house corporate group
- Establish, develop, and refine our corporate governance program, including laying the foundation for IPO readiness
- Tackle day-to-day issues regarding employee compensation and equity, while helping build out exceptional equity programs longer term
- Serve as the in-house lead on potential corporate transactions, including potentially financings, investments, liquidity events, M&A, etc.
- Work closely with cross-functional partners across the company
- Deeply understand our product and our customers, and serve as an effective product counselor
- Help structure, negotiate, and manage complex, business-critical partnerships
- Help take care of all the day-to-day legal requests that come to the team
Experience we’re looking for:
- 8-10+ years of legal experience, including some law firm and some in-house experience
- Substantial experience with one or more of the following: venture financing, M&A, IPOs
- Some experience in the world of fintech or banking, or a strong willingness and passion to learn about those areas
- JD and bar admission
- The ability to communicate with clarity and purpose in both written and verbal communication
- A sense of humor and appreciation of craftsmanship
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits.
Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the SaaS and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
US employees in the New York City or San Francisco Bay Area: $232,700 - $273,800 USD
US employees outside of the New York City or San Francisco Bay Area: $209,400 - $246,400 USD