Staff Brand Designer
In 1954, Eero Saarinen designed a branch office with glass walls, no offices, and a completely open floor plan in Columbus, Indiana. It was surrounded by trees; the furniture was made by Herman Miller; the lobby flooring was thick, rustic brick. It was built with transparency and community at its core. Since then, a lot of things have happened—Saarinen’s branch is now a conference center, people increasingly live on the internet, and it’s hard to think of a single financial institution that still applies design thinking to their company.
Mercury is on a mission to defy those expectations. We’re a financial technology company that helps startups spend less time banking and more time building. We believe that the key to our success revolves around thoughtful design and we’re looking to add a hands-on, staff designer to help. You’ll be a key part of our team that shapes the ways Mercury shows up and interacts with the world across all of our brand touch-points—helping to connect the dots between marketing and product. You love to solve complex problems through design, but you’re equally passionate about cultivating, guiding, and inspiring your team through the work to foster a collaborative environment of experimentation and innovation.
Some things you’ll do
- Help establish the bar for design and execution on our team, shipping work, creating design systems and guidelines, and codifying best practices and processes
- Fearlessly concept, iterate, prototype, and test to deliver strategic, elegant and simple design solutions for websites, brand campaigns, events, and more.
- Make sense of complex systems and develop inventive solutions through distillation and experimentation
- Ground the work in a deep understanding of our brand and push on strategic insights to stretch creative opportunities
- Influence the design team with unique and innovative design solutions, inspiring them to push their thinking and skill levels to new heights
- Collaborate and build solid relationships both with your team and cross-functionally to understand what a project needs at any given moment in an effort to move the work forward
- Consistently communicate effectively and proactively with team members, agencies, and cross-functional partners
- Think strategically about the project lifecycle, necessary timelines, business challenges, and the necessity of communication amongst your project team
- Balance multiple project assignments or business challenges with a steady disposition
- Invite a wide range of perspectives and help strengthen collaboration on your team through role modeling
What you’ll bring
- Demonstrated experience leading design on high impact, successful brand experiences and products
- Proven experience mentoring designers and steering work with clarity and actionable direction
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional partners and leaders
- An inclusive mindset and an ability to reconcile diverse points of view
- Capacity for unsticking intractable roadblocks and pushing the team toward inventive solutions
- Knowledge of when to zoom in and out of the work to maintain quality and momentum
- An understanding that exploration and iteration gets you to the right answer
- A deep foundation and understanding of intricacies in graphic design and user experience design within digital brand and creative disciplines
- Solid verbal and presentation skills that get across the process, approach, and impact of your design
- A mind for best practices, paired with a willingness to try something just crazy enough to work
- Expertise in current industry tools like Figma with the ability to adapt to new technologies
- Emotional maturity and awareness, utilizing multiple styles of communication and influence to come to the best result but never forgetting to lead with kindness and humility
- Curiosity and passion for doing great work
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits.
Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the saas and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a job candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
- US employees (any location): $194,000 - $213,500 USD.
- Canadian employees (any location): CAD 172,500 - 190,000.
Something looks off?