Staff Product Designer, Onboarding
In 1954, Eero Saarinen designed a branch office with glass walls, no offices, and a completely open floor plan in Columbus, Indiana. It was surrounded by trees; the furniture was made by Herman Miller; the lobby flooring was thick, rustic brick. It was built with transparency and community at its core. Since then, a lot of things have happened—Saarinen’s branch is now a conference center, people increasingly live on the internet, and it’s hard to think of a single financial institution that still applies design thinking to their company.
Mercury is on a mission to defy those expectations. We’re a financial technology company that helps startups spend less time banking and more time building. We believe that the key to our success revolves around thoughtful design and we’re looking to add a hands-on, staff product designer to own and reimagine our onboarding experience. You’ll be a key part of the team that touches every Mercury customer, helping to create an intuitive, streamlined, and delightful experience.
Our design team consists of 30+ people who love to solve complex problems through design, but are equally passionate about cultivating, guiding, and inspiring each other through their work to foster a collaborative environment of experimentation and innovation.
What you’ll do at Mercury:
- Take ownership of our user education and onboarding journey for customers across all our different product offerings.
- Collaborate with product and engineering partners to craft a long-term vision and roadmap for your product area.
- Work across the entire design stack, including: speccing projects; designing workflows, detailed interactions, and high-fidelity visuals; and ensuring quality implementation.
- Find elegant solutions to user problems and think critically from the user perspective.
- Simplify and cull design elements with a ruthless eye.
- Craft designs from first principles (referencing existing solutions is often a poor idea).
- Imbue mundane tasks and flows with a feeling of wonder.
- Prototype multiple visual and UX concepts and then narrow them to the right solution.
- Communicate the reasoning behind your product decisions and arrive at the most optimal solution together with your team.
You are the right fit if you:
- Have experience working with cross-functional partners to define product strategy.
- Are comfortable with running different types of qualitative research and using it to inform product decisions.
- Have a strong understanding of when and how to use metrics to inform design and measure success.
- Have experience and / or be excited about working on a Growth team.
- Have the ability to design whole systems, not just interface elements or static pages.
- Have experience and interest in the entire design stack, including UI/UX, visual design, and interaction design.
- Have experience building for a variety of form factors, including mobile.
- Understand when no design is the best design.
- Have a strong personal design aesthetic and also understand the Mercury aesthetic.
- Feel comfortable anticipating and designing for edge cases.
- Understand the balance between perfect design and getting to market.
- Exhibit kindness and humility in everyday interactions.
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits. Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the saas and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a job candidate's experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
US employees (any location): $223,000-245,500 USD
Canadian employees (any location): CAD 212,500-234,000
Something looks off?