Data Science Manager, Borrowing
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Data Science, Borrowing team:
We're looking for a Data Science Manager to help our product teams build the bank of the future. The growth of Borrowing products is a key component of achieving Monzo’s mission to make money work for everyone.
You’ll have the opportunity to lead a team of Data Scientists across our Borrowing Collective. You’ll champion the use of data, bring ideas to life through rigorous experimentation and A/B testing. You’ll help us get the most out of volumes of cloud native data, spotting opportunities to make each area of our product work even better for our users.
You’ll help your team grow, hiring new team members and supporting their personal development. Your team will drive product innovation and you’ll get to see the impact of all your work in the product changes we make. You will be responsible for delivering business values across Overdrafts, Loans and Monzo Flex (+ the new products that are currently in development), working closely with our Credit specialists, a Modelling team, Backend Engineers, and Product Managers.
We work in cross-functional products squads, but each Data Scientist is also a member of our central Data Discipline. This allows our people to get fully embedded into the detail and decision-making of a given product, whilst having the backup of all the other Data Scientists across Monzo when it’s needed.
As part of your role, you'll:
- Be a key leader in building a discipline of exceptional data scientists working on making Monzo world class at tackling product problems
- Help hire, develop and retain talented Data Scientists
- Support smaller Borrowing squads by generating insights and running experiments that can change the direction of product development
- Establish yourself as a trusted partner to the product leadership teams with the capacity for getting things done, be it either hands-on or by leading others
- Bring data leadership and rigour to our approach to product development and build a strategic understanding of the business while structuring complex projects to bring them to life
- Guide and enable product teams to measure things that matter; initiate or help run A/B experiments to keep improving everything we do
What’s special about data at Monzo?
Autonomy. We believe that people reach their full potential when you can remove all the operational obstacles out of their way and let them run with their ideas. This comes together with a strong sense of ownership for your projects. At Monzo, you will get full access to our data and analytics infrastructure. When you discover something interesting, there is nothing stopping you from exploring and implementing your coolest ideas.
Cutting-edge managed infrastructure. All our data infrastructure lives on the Google Cloud Platform, so you don't need to spend your time configuring or managing clusters, databases, etc. All of our infrastructure is designed so that we can have really high data quality, and spend most of our time using that data to support business decisions.
Automation. We aim to automate as much as we can, so that every person in the team can focus on the things that humans do best. As with all data science work, there’s some analysis and reporting, and as much as possible we encourage self-serve access to our data through Looker.
You should apply if:
- What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You have multiple years of experience in data, working as a Lead Analyst or Data Scientist
- You have 2-3 years if hands-on people management experience
- You know what it takes to manage top tier Data Science talent
- You’re excited by the opportunity to work autonomously to impact the future of a fast growing, ever evolving business
- You consider yourself an empathetic leader and have experience managing data scientists and you really enjoy that part of the job
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders and product teams
- You're familiar with using a variety of Data Science tools (from business intelligence, experimentation and causal inference through to machine learning), and coding languages (Python and SQL). You know when to pick the right tool, and can help others do the same
- You have multiple years experience working in a product analytics role and have conducting large scale A/B experiments
- We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
- This role is based in our London office, with the expectation of ~2 on-site days per week
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team
- Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
- If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions!
- 30 minute recruiter call
- 45 minute call with hiring manager
- 3 x 1-hour video calls with various team members
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you
do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in it for you:
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Something looks off?