Engineering Manager, Product
📍London or Remote (UK) | 💰 Base salary for this role is £100k - £135k depending on experience + stock options + Benefits
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
Engineering Management at Monzo:
Engineers and Engineering Managers at Monzo are part of cross-functional, autonomous teams and groups. Our teams are mission driven, and typically include Product Managers, backend, web and mobile engineers as well as data scientists, designers and subject matter experts relevant to that mission. Teams are organised into groups, and then collectives - we aim to keep our line management structure as shallow as possible, and for teams to directly own decision making relevant to their work.
Engineering Managers are accountable for the technical and delivery outcomes for their area - that means supporting and developing best in class engineering talent, as well as creating an inclusive team environment for people to do their best work. You’ll be responsible for structuring, organising, supporting and challenging your team to deliver on their mission.
You can read more on the expectations of Engineering Managers on our Progression Framework.
We currently have 3 Engineering Management positions open across our Product Collectives. By applying to this role, your application will be considered across all three vacancies.
- FinCrime EM - You’ll lead 2 squads (one existing team of 7 Engineers, and a new team being built with 3 Engineers currently) focusing on fraud. These teams keep our customers' money safe. Staying ahead of fraudsters is a mix of rapidly deploying effective solutions to mitigate specific attacks and strengthening our general methods of detection and prevention (rules and ML models) to protect customers.
- Personal Banking EM - You’ll lead a cross functional squad of 8 Engineers focusing on Monzo’s subscription products (Monzo Plus and Premium). The ambition is for the area to make up 30% of Monzo’s total revenue so you’ll get to shape the strategy for making this a reality. The team will ‘cell divide’ and grow into 3 squads (expanding into brand new 0 to 1 products Monzo will be building).
- Business Banking EM - This is a brand new team that will grow to 8 Engineers focusing on building a 0 to 1 product from scratch within a new domain in Business Banking.
You’ll spend your time:
- Taking accountability for delivery across your squad(s), collaborating with the Technical Lead and Product Manager.
- Actively fostering a high bar for engineering excellence within your teams.
- You’ll initially lead a group of around 7-10 engineers (depending on the role) and support, coach and develop them through their career with regular 1:1s and continuous feedback.
- Partner with senior engineers in your area to drive technical initiatives that raise the bar for our engineering practices.
- Lead on communication with stakeholders from other teams, creating focus space for engineers to do their best work.
- Collaborate with the wider engineering organisation to contribute to company-wide best managerial and technical practices and standards.
You should apply if:
While this is not a role which requires hands-on-coding, we are looking for an experienced manager who has a strong technical and delivery background and has worked as a software engineer in previous roles.
We recognise that engineering managers lead in different ways, we’re looking for someone who:
- Is comfortable operating with ambiguous problem areas with a high degree of autonomy.
- It’s a bonus if you have experience working in an experimentation led environment.
- Has delivery experience and is able to guide the squads in achieving their outcomes.
- Focuses on outcomes over processes, who optimises for the highest impact and leverage.
- Is able to input, understand and challenge engineering decisions - but to empower the team to make those decisions themselves
- Has an understanding of what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and ability to chart a course to get there
- Is able to to coach people to achieve their goals
- Has a natural ability to inspire and motivate a team
We consider your application across all open EM roles at Monzo independent of which role you've applied for, so if you've recently applied to a similar role at Monzo and have been unsuccessful, please wait 6 months before applying again.
The interview process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages:
- A 30 min intro with a member of our recruitment team.
- A 1 hour call with someone from our senior engineering leadership team. We’ll ask you questions about your current and previous roles, as well as what a high performing team looks like for you, and how you’ve helped create them in the past.
- A 3 stage final-round interview, split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as management and leadership interviews.
- We may follow up with a final stage interview, to discuss any feedback before making a final decision.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s in it for you:
💰Base salary range for this role is between £100k - £135k depending on experience + equity + stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
We're usually always hiring for Engineering Managers, so there's no closing date for this job.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Something looks off?