Director of Data Science, Financial Crime
📍London | 💰 £165,000- £200,000 + Benefits | Data Science
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Data Discipline
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
We work in cross-functional squads where every data practitioner is a member of a central data discipline and fully embedded into a product squad alongside Engineers, Designers, Marketers, Product Managers, Finance Analysts etc.
You will be responsible for partnering with senior stakeholders in Fincrime to develop evidence-driven solutions to important Financial Crime problems. You will apply your leadership experience and data expertise to solve complex business challenges, help drive decision-making (at squad and leadership level) and develop data products (where appropriate) that will improve our ability to fight financial crime and keep customers safe. You will lead a team of data professionals of currently 25 people. You will also be part of the wider data leadership group and help shape the role that data plays across the company.
- Establish yourself as a trusted member of the financial crime and product senior leadership teams with the capacity for getting things done and to enable better decision making
- Bring data leadership and rigour to our financial crime function and build a strategic understanding of the business while structuring complex projects to bring them to life
- Set the data strategy for financial crime area which will help us to build one of the most effective fincrime prevention and detection capabilities in the financial industry
- Own complex, data driven systems to combat fraud and financial crime, including customer risk assessments and transaction monitoring
- Help your team to focus and to prioritise for highest impact initiatives for the business
- Effectively manage stakeholder relationships and expectations across various functions like engineering, product, operations and first and second lines of defence
- Develop and further scale a high performing team of data professionals across a wide range of data capabilities
- Coach managers and individual contributors, helping them to grow professionally and personally
You should apply if:
What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You have multiple years of experience in a hands on data role in the past and have now been leading data science teams in operations, financial crime or fraud
- You consider yourself an empathetic leader and have experience managing multiple data individual contributors and data managers and you really enjoy that part of the job
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as well as taking a step back and thinking strategically and proactively identifying opportunities
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders
- You have experience leading a full stack data team, including Analysts, Data Scientists, Analytics Engineers and Machine Learning Engineers
- You have experience managing data managers
The Interview Process
Our interview process involves 3 main stages. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions!
- 30 minute recruiter call
- 45 minute call with the hiring manager
- 3 x 1-hour video calls with various team members, including the general manager for Financial Crime
- A meet and greet with a Monzo Executive Committee member
What’s in it for you:
💰 £165,000- £200,000 ➕ plus stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK (delete if doesn’t apply)
✅ We can sponsor visas (delete if doesn’t apply).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚 Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕ And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.
Something looks off?