Anti-Money Laundering Investigator
📍Remote, UK | 💰 £24,675 - £27,000 (depending on experience) + Benefits
Please reference any literature that you may refer to, as applications that are highly plagiarised and not your own work. e.g. ChatGPT, will be declined.
About us 🏦
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Financial Crime team 💰
We are looking for experienced Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Investigators who love fighting financial crime and learning new skills to join our team, and help Monzo make money work for everyone.
At Monzo, we tackle financial crime through our specialised Pillars, with each focusing on specific business areas, risks, or typologies, including business banking, money laundering, fraud, bribery and corruption, politically exposed persons and sanctions, and tax evasion, to name a few.
What you'll be working on
Our Investigators are trained and focused on tasks related to their Pillar, allowing them to build subject matter expertise and help us protect Monzo, our customers, and society. Collaboration is key, though, so we also work together across Pillars when required.
Every day, you’ll spend your time on things like:
- Investigating alerts (we call them tasks) raised by our transaction monitoring systems, analysing customer accounts to identify risk or suspicious activity, and recording your decisions in a clear and concise rationale
- Reviewing and taking action on escalations from Frontline Customer Operations (COps)
- Writing and submitting high-quality suspicious activity reports (SARs) to the National Crime Agency (NCA)
- Securing fraudulent funds so that they can be returned to victims
- Processing account closures, including defunds and ban reminders
David, an AML Investigator, will tell you more:
'Whilst working AML there is always something new to learn, we frequently receive multiple tasks that we need to objectively work through and try to understand what is going on with our customer’s accounts. I love the feeling of being able to understand what is going on by looking at all the data that we have and even if I don't, I need to figure out what piece of the puzzle we need to have a better picture of what the customer is doing.
We work as a team and we always try to help each other whenever we can. I frequently jump into a meeting with team members that want a second opinion or are looking to improve on their performance within the role and give feedback where needed. I have also been the one that is looking to improve and gather more insight into an area of my AML tasks and know I can rely on my team members to help me.
One of things that I love about what I do is that there are plenty of things to learn even once I had my training, learning new typologies and keeping watch for undiscovered typologies to protect our customers and Monzo. In AML there are constantly new challenges that come up because no two tasks are the same as every customer is different'.
You should apply if:
- You have experience working in operational financial crime - or think that you have other relevant experience that we should consider.
- You are interested in current trends in financial crime
- You love connecting the dots and solving problems.
- You are comfortable making judgement-based decisions in a changing environment.
- You’re great at explaining things to people, and have strong written English.
- You’re excited by our mission of making money work for everyone.
- You are self-motivated and take ownership of your own performance.
- You have, or are interested in studying for, a professional qualification from the International Compliance Association (ICA), Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS) or an equivalent body.
Top tip when applying ⭐️
We will be strongly considering your application answers, as well as the experience on your CV, before inviting you to an interview. Therefore, please take your time and answers the questions in detail!
The application process consists of:
- Initial application questions
- A remote interview consisting of a Values interview and Role-specific skills interview.
What's in it for you
💰 Salary - £24,675 to £27,000 depending on relevant financial crime experience
📍This role will be based remotely, but there's also the opportunity to work in our Cardiff office 🏴
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
From your start date, training runs from Monday to Friday 9am - 6pm for 6 weeks. Please note that we do not allow holidays or appointments during training.
Shifts - 40 hours per week, 9am-6pm, including some weekends.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
🏡 To work remotely you'll also need:
- to work from home in the UK in a safe, private and distraction free environment
- a solid internet connection (download speed - 10mbps; upload speed - 5 mbps)
- We'll provide you with a work laptop on your first day. There's no need to supply your own.
- You do need to own your own smartphone, this will be needed each time you log into our customer support system.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Something looks off?