Risk and Controls Director
📍London OR UK Remote | £110,000 - £160,000 + Benefits |
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About the role:
We’re looking for a Director to join our Risk & Controls Discipline (RCD) and partner with our Product squads, to drive fresh thinking within the first line risk management space, and help us achieve the next phase of our growth ambition. The successful person will help our senior leaders and product owners to shape and implement controls, and run all aspects of Monzo’s enterprise risk management framework in the first line of defence. Directors at Monzo join the company-wide Senior Leadership Team and are expected to lead both within their role but also make a broad impact across the organisation
What you’ll be working on:
- Leading the Product growth RCD squad, which includes partnering with our Retail, Business Banking and Wealth product squads, as well as overseeing our Marketing controls and Financial Promotions reviews.
- Enabling fast, safe ‘shipping’ of product changes by supporting risk assessments and change processes.
- Being the ‘go to’ partner for C-Suite and Executive leaders including the Chief Product Officer, General Managers for Wealth & Business Banking, and VP - Marketing, partnering on a range of risk topics.
- Monitoring issues & actions, control design testing, supporting implementation of new / updated frameworks and monitoring and testing control effectiveness and execution.
- Build a ‘data first’ and automation culture across controls - leveraging the opportunities Artificial Intelligence presents - to build out a more predictive and forward-looking control environment.
- Partner for growth into new markets, products and regulatory jurisdictions.
You’ll spend your time:
- Engaging confidently with senior leadership including C-suite and VPs
- Engaging externally with regulators and their appointed representatives in external industry forums; responding to regulatory & industry requests for information
- Driving awareness and execution rigour of all risk based commitments, including issues, incidents & actions, regulatory or audit deliverables
- Leading risk assessments (RCSA) in the 1st line and drive actions to address the root causes that persistently lead to operational risk losses by challenging both historical and proposed practices.
- Maturing our controls and control processes to take Monzo’s control environment to the next level of maturity (and scalability).
- Leading the organisation to take a more forward looking, preventative approach to risk management - learning from the past, market developments and competition.
- Seeking opportunities to make risk processes easier for our business partners and stakeholders to operate.
- Acting as a key stakeholder managing & fostering positive relationships across the three lines of defence on any deficiencies or control gaps across Monzo as needed.
- Providing challenge and guidance to ensure appropriate remedial actions are in place where deficiencies (Issues) are identified.
- Escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency and creating a positive risk culture.
You should apply if:
- You’re an exceptional risk / control professional with experience at a UK bank or financial services company (including FinTech)
- You can influence senior stakeholders and have a track record of solving complex risk problems in matrix environments
- You have a strong track record in managing product risk - and are ‘hands on’ in doing so - with experience growing new business ‘in control’
- You’re a data driven control leader
- You're resilient and comfortable working in a fast paced environment where the day to day job is constantly evolving and changing
- You’re hands-on and great at delivery & execution
- You’re curious and collaborative - you’re great at asking incisive questions to pick things up and act on them quickly.
- It would be a plus if you have experience at a fintech / challenger bank, experience in deploying Artificial Intelligence and / or experience working in a scaling environment and/or technology company on your career journey.
Our average process takes around 4-6 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on email@example.com
What’s in it for you:
💰 £110,000 - £160,000 (depending on experience) ➕ plus stock options & benefits
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚 Learning budget of £1,000 a year for, training courses and conferences➕much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.