Director of Machine Learning
📍Location | UK remote | Benefits
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, tests the app and gives us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
What you’ll be working on:
- Discipline Leadership: You’ll be responsible for helping build machine learning at Monzo into a true capability, owning hiring, tooling and working with our central and decentralised ML teams
- Machine Learning Strategy: Develop and execute a comprehensive machine learning strategy aligned with Monzo's business goals. Identify opportunities for leveraging machine learning to drive innovation and efficiency in banking services
- Team Leadership: Lead, mentor, and inspire a team of machine learning engineers. Foster a culture of collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement.
- Platform oversight: Set the roadmap for our MLOps team
- Product Development: Collaborate with product managers and cross-functional teams to conceptualize, design, and build machine learning-powered features and products that meet customer needs.
- Model Development: Lead the development and deployment of machine learning models, including natural language processing, recommendation systems, fraud detection, and more.
- Model Governance: Ensure we have a robust framework for model governance ensuring models are fit for purpose and have sufficient ongoing controls
- Experimentation and Evaluation: Establish rigorous experimentation and A/B testing frameworks to evaluate the performance of machine learning models and product features. Iterate and refine models based on feedback and data-driven insights.
- Ethical AI: Ensure responsible and ethical AI practices are followed, including fairness, transparency, and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Research and Innovation: Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in machine learning and AI. Explore new techniques, tools, and technologies to keep Monzo at the forefront of innovation.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Work closely with engineering, data engineering, and data analytics teams to integrate machine learning models into Monzo's production systems
- Communication: Effectively communicate machine learning strategies, progress, and results to stakeholders at all levels, including executives.
You should apply if you have:
- Built ML teams from the ground up, shaping hiring practices, performance process and culture
- Managed and developed ML discipline members up to senior level, from Lead through to Staff
- A track record of delivering ML systems across a range of use cases, from initiation, planning through to delivery and business impact
- Set org wider strategy and ambitions for machine learning
- A Master's or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Data Science, or a related field.
The interview process:
Our interview process involves 5 interviews stages:
- An intro call with our VP Data, Chris Beckett.
- Deep dive into your ML toolkit and knowledge with our Heads of ML for Fincrime and Ops
- Architectural principles for ML with our Principal Engineer Robin
- Setting a compelling ML Strategy with Chris Beckett and our CTO Matej Pfajar
- People leadership
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in it for you:
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
➕ And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.