Accounting & Finance
San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 7, 2023
Insurance is a trillion dollar market that is fundamental to society, yet it has not modernized — until now.
Newfront is building the modern insurance experience.
We've reimagined the experience for clients, prospects, and employees, altering the way people create, understand, select, transact, and use insurance. We're changing the approach so that it starts and ends with the client, not the product, and empowering people for moments that matter.
Our unique approach recognizes both the vast potential of technology and the fundamental role of insurance experts. We're a technology-driven company with DE&I in our DNA and strong values; we believe people matter most.
Our mission is to define the future of the insurance industry, while instilling a high performance culture in combination with living our Work, Love, Play ethos each day. We value balanced lives and are passionate about creating a culture of wellness that results in healthier, happier, and more productive employees, and more successful clients.
We offer onsite/hybrid/remote roles (within USA), with the option to work from any of Newfront's office locations.
Newfront’s Accounting/Finance Team is passionate about numbers! We work collaboratively within our group and also with creative, expert teams across the organization. We are committed to the professional development of our team members and believe in accountability and are in this together – we work together to see the big picture and get the job done and are not afraid to have fun while doing so!
This position reports directly to the Chief Accounting Officer and will serve as the primary contact for all accounting, internal control, and financial reporting matters for the Company. In addition, this position is the primary contact and coordinator for SEC financial reporting activities and will direct quarter end and year end activities with the Company’s external auditors.
This position is a full-time, exempt role and is located in any of Newfront's Bay Area offices (San Mateo office is preferred location) with a hybrid remote schedule.
What You'll Be Responsible For:
- Lead the preparation, completeness, and accuracy of all aspects of the monthly financial close processes in partnership with others on the team, monitoring close progression and ensuring that tasks are completed in an efficient and sustainable way,
- Lead external audit activities and audit preparation,
- Drive a continuous improvement approach to develop strategies that improve accounting operations efficiencies, effectiveness, and scalability, including the development and execution of policy, process, and system changes,
- Develop and implement robust financial controls and processes to ensure accuracy, reliability, and timeliness of financial reporting,
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive process standardization and optimization,
- Stay up to date with changes in accounting principles, tax laws, and regulatory requirements, and ensure timely implementation of any necessary changes,
- Review significant contracts to ensure proper accounting, treatment of non-standard terms and communication to pertinent parties,
- Prepare tax work papers to be provided to outside CPA firm to allow for tax return preparation,
- Assist in Company’s efforts to get IPO ready, including SEC documentations etc.,
- Build and lead a high-performing team, providing mentorship, guidance, and development opportunities.
- 10+ years of relevant experience,
- CPA license,
- Public accounting and/or operational experience in controllership function required,
- Big 4 public accounting experience preferred,
- Experience in Insurance business is preferred, but not required,
- Possesses a strong foundation in GAAP accounting and reporting, is conversant with emerging accounting/reporting issues and trends, and adapts well to changing business needs,
- Proven experience in financial controls, risk management, and compliance,
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex business transactions proposals, apply accounting regulations and communicate results with business professionals,
- Excellent leadership and communication capabilities, including both written and presentation skills,
- Demonstrated ability to work across multiple projects, processes at once,
- Ability to interface with senior leadership and navigate through organizational boundaries and proactively manage change within an organization,
- Experience in NetSuite is preferred,
- Solid experience building and leading high performing teams.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
- CPA license (or be in process of achieving)
The pay range for this position in California, Washington, Colorado and New York at commencement of employment is expected to be between $193,600 and $242,000/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
At Newfront, we are committed to hiring diverse talent and supporting an inclusive workplace environment. If you are excited about a role at Newfront but feel you’re missing a few of the qualifications, we still encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself. You may just be the next Newfront team member that we are looking for!
Newfront is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Diversity is in our DNA and we believe that creating an inclusive workplace elevates the value we are able to bring to our customers and employees alike. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.