Senior/Lead Data Scientist
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
At Nova Credit, our mission is to power a more fair and inclusive financial system for the world. Nova Credit's diverse global team is stitching together the world's credit data into a single network to unlock financial opportunities for immigrants and other populations historically excluded from the credit system. We've built a platform that enables lenders to access a single, predictive cross-border credit database to help enable underwriting decisions. We are backed by leading investors, including Kleiner Perkins, General Catalyst, Index Ventures, and a Great Place to Work Certified company!
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be part of the Data Science team within Nova Credit, playing an essential role in researching, designing, and building out our data science strategy for Cash Atlas™. Applying your critical thinking and analytical skills to data, traditional statistical modeling, and modern machine learning techniques, you will serve as a conduit to bring key functions together, including data partnerships, risk and analytics, product, engineering, and customer success, to develop and implement our core data systems. In conjunction with our customer-facing teams, you will demonstrate the strength of our product through data analytics and insights. Ultimately, your role is to ensure the delivery of high-quality predictive risk signals; every initiative you work on will be critical to our team's success!
This is a full-time, remote-friendly role reporting to the Director of Data Science. Candidates based in the New York City Metropolitan Area are strongly preferred.
RESPONSIBILITIES & KEY PROJECTS:
- Develop algorithms to unify bank transaction data from multiple banks and data vendors;
- Develop NLP models based on bank transaction descriptions and other consumer finance data
- Use bank transaction data to research and create variables used for credit risk modeling;
- Develop credit risk models using bank transaction data for underwriting;
- Collaborate with engineering teams to guide reliable deployments of data science products;
- Perform continuous research into new data sources, variables, and modeling methodologies
- 4+ years of relevant quantitative modeling or model validation experience in consumer finance/credit risk
- MS in a relevant quantitative field such as Statistics, Data Science, Economics, or Operational Research
- Experience in generalized linear models, machine learning methods, and hypothesis testing
- Experience with Structured Query Language (SQL) and Python
- Experience with PySpark, NLP, and productionalizing research models
- Above all, critical thinking skills, creativity, an open mind, and curiosity to explore complex data to extract usable information and insights!
Everyone is welcome at Nova Credit. We are an equal-opportunity employer where our diversity and inclusion are central pillars of our company strategy. We look for applicants who understand, embrace, and thrive in a multicultural and increasingly globalized world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.