Senior Architect, Android
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
The Toast POS app is the central pillar of Toast’s restaurant products. Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, bartenders, and chefs use Toast’s POS to serve millions of guests!
At Toast, Android isn’t just one of multiple mobile platforms -- Android is the foundational technology stack for our POS products. In fact, Toast designs and sells our own specialized Android tablets so we can provide the best integrated hardware/software products.
Our POS app powers the restaurant’s most critical workflows (taking orders, sending orders to the kitchen, taking payments) across a coordinated network of tablets and peripherals that are typically used for 10-12 hours a day. The POS needs to work as fast as possible, and can never make the user wait for round-trip network requests. If the network has problems, the POS needs to keep running! Addressing these demanding requirements means pushing our technology stack to the limits.
While the technical challenges are demanding, the impact of our work on our customers is tangible and direct. Our customers spend all day using the POS. When we design new features with a great UX, we can improve the staff’s job satisfaction, the guest experience, and the restaurant’s bottom line. Small changes in the tightest loops pay off many thousands of times over. Innovative new features from Toast help our restaurants thrive in the face of today’s ever-changing restaurant landscape.
We are seeking an experienced technologist with the demonstrated ability to make a cross-team impact to join our POS teams. This is a hands-on technical role that includes a large component of technical design and large-scale technical problem-solving.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Establish technical direction for the Toast POS app, in collaboration with architectural leaders and experienced engineers
- Accountable for technical quality of Toast POS app
- Drive continuous improvement of architecture, codebase and technical practices across POS products
- Collaborate with technical and non-technical leaders to break down business problems into projects that can be executed across the organization
- Lead software design for major components, and support less experienced engineers in the software design process
- Mentor less experienced engineers and contribute to their growth
- Act as a force multiplier for the Restaurant engineering organization overall
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Experience delivering mobile products to a large customer base
- Experience in mobile codebases with dozens of developers
- Deep experience with Java, Kotlin, and Android
- Experienced at communicating technical designs and contributing to the design process
- History of technical and business impact across multiple teams
- Collaborative and solution-oriented partner to business and product leaders
Our Spread* of Total Rewards
We strive to provide competitive compensation and benefits programs that help to attract, retain, and motivate the best and brightest people in our industry. Our total rewards package goes beyond great earnings potential and provides the means to a healthy lifestyle with the flexibility to meet Toasters’ changing needs. Learn more about our benefits at https://careers.toasttab.com/toast-benefits.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Something looks off?