Team Lead, Principal Software Engineer - Websites and Online Ordering
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Who We Are
The Websites and Online Ordering team is responsible for advancing and supporting Toast’s new restaurant website hosting product, as well as the closely integrated Online Ordering product. This group is highly product oriented, with a laser-focus on creating top tier consumer experiences for restaurants and their guests. Our product-line is relatively new but already used by millions of restaurant goers each day, so be prepared to innovate on products at a huge scale while ensuring stability and scalability.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
You will be in a unique position to work on a variety of different projects and have a strong voice in technology, product, and business strategy. This is a “player-coach” opportunity wherein you will be managing a small team (2-3) of experienced engineers, while also contributing to the code directly. You will be looked to for architectural and design decisions. This position is an exceptional opportunity for a smart, hands dirty, entrepreneurial engineering leader who wants to work with a smart team, modern stack, and solve real business problems via technology. As such you should be prepared to run experiments and iterate quickly. Responsibilities include:
- Design, scope and implement solutions using a combination of technologies
- Enhance the platform to improve performance, usability, and scalability
- Lead a scrum team of 2-3 engineers and establish processes to enable rapid deployment cadence in a stable fashion.
- Set a bar for productivity and code quality with your own contributions to the product
- Work closely with PMs/designers to identify high-impact opportunities
- Total commitment to being a great teammate
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 10+ years of experience developing fullstack web applications
- Experience managing a small team of engineers
- Working knowledge of JS frameworks such as React
- Working knowledge of CSS and frameworks such as Tailwind, Bootstrap, or similar
- Working knowledge of backend technologies like Node.js, Java, and Kotlin
- Experience building on top AWS services with other tools like Docker, and Git
- Familiarity implementing designs provided by high-fidelity UX mocks in Figma, Sketch, etc.
- Experience shipping and maintaining testable code bases, including API design and unit-testing frameworks
- Passionate about making users happy and seeing people use your product in the wild.
- Ability to embrace the agile mindset and understand that sometimes we need to ship features quickly and clean up the code later.
- Comfortable with testing methodologies and frameworks
Our Spread* of Total Rewards
We strive to provide competitive compensation and benefits programs that help to attract, retain, and motivate the best and brightest people in our industry. Our total rewards package goes beyond great earnings potential and provides the means to a healthy lifestyle with the flexibility to meet Toasters’ changing needs. Learn more about our benefits at https://careers.toasttab.com/toast-benefits.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Something looks off?